Police maintain robbery suspect confessed to setting Brickdam Police Station afire


The Guyana Police Force (GPF) said it is dismissing as malicious, the recent fabrication being peddled on social media surrounding the confession statement given by armed robbery suspect Clarence Greene regarding how he set fire to the Brickdam Police Station on Saturday. 

Greene, 26, of 2292 Princes Street Lodge, Georgetown was arrested on October 2, 2021, and placed in the Brickdam Police Station lock-ups for an alleged robbery under-arms. 

Police headquarters in a statement on Sunday said that during interrogation, the suspect told detectives that his motive for starting the fire was due to him being frustrated after he was detained in the lock-ups for several hours. 

The statement added that after the fire broke out at the station, Greene and other prisoners were transferred to the Sparendaam Police Station lock-ups where they were placed in a cell with each other. 

Police said that two prisoners told detectives that Greene told them that he took a piece of sponge, wrapped it up on a piece of wire which he lit, and pushed it through a ventilation hole in the cell over to a part of the Brickdam Police Station that had some documents. 

Soon after, the station went up in flames. 

According to the GPF, following this revelation, Greene was then video interviewed/questioned by detectives during which he confessed to the crime. However, reports are circulating of Greene claiming that he was beaten by Police ranks to confess.

The GPF, in a statement refuting the reports on Tuesday, said “the said confession was given on video and it is clear that the suspect was under no form of duress at the time he explained to the Police how he started the fire.”

According to the Police, these “unsubstantiated attacks” on the integrity and professionalism of ranks of the GPF are nothing more than an attempt to undermine the investigation. The statement said that based on Police procedures, the evidence of the video confession would be prepared for court presentation.  

Further, the Police Force assured that it is sparing no effort as it continues the investigation into Saturday’s devastating fire which destroyed the Brickdam Police Station.

As such, the statement added, “investigators are in possession of a confession (ON VIDEO), and not on paper as claimed in the report, from Clarence Greene, an unemployed 26-year-old MN of Princess Street, Lodge who admitted to starting the fire.”

The Brickdam Police Station has been temporarily relocated to St Stanislaus College. President Ifraan Ali has blasted the Fire Service’s response to the fire which destroyed 80 per cent of the century-old station which also houses the divisional headquarters for Police ‘A’ Division. 

Kalamadeen Edoo, who was appointed Fire Chief back in February, was instructed by the Home Affairs Ministry on Tuesday to proceed on leave with immediate effect. Home Affairs Minister Robeson Benn has disclosed that engineers are presently being engaged in rebuilding the police station.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here