Police denies Oppos. Leader claims of abducting GECOM’s arson mastermind


The Guyana Police Force (GPF) has denied abducting William Roy Marshall, the alleged arson mastermind in the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) Linden Office fire. 

The GPF comment comes on the heels of a statement today by Leader of the Opposition, Joseph Harmon. 

According to the Office of the Leader of the Opposition, Marshall’s wife had reported that he was forcefully abducted from his home by persons dressed in plain clothes and claiming to be officers of the GPF, but who produced no identification or warrant. 

As a result, the APNU + AFC Coalition claims that this is “the unconstitutional abduction” of a citizen.

“The GPF is categorically refuting these allegations and in setting the records straight,  from the outset, states that William Marshall, who is a driver attached to the Chairman of Region 10, is a suspect in the burning of the GECOM Registration Office which occurred on July 14, 2020, at Wismar, Linden,” the GPF said in a statement. 

According to the GPF, the matter is being investigated by police ranks from CID Headquarters, Eve Leary, and the Regional Police Division. 

The investigations have led to the arrest of Byron Kendall, 48, of Kara Kara, Linden, Teon February 22, of Canvas City, Wismar, Linden, and Marlon Hunter, 20, of Silvertown, Wismar, between July 04 and 08, 2021.

Further intelligence led to Marshall also being identified as a suspect in burning the GECOM Registration Office. 

In effecting the arrest of Marshall, police officers, comprising both ranks in uniform and plainclothes, went to his home at about 23: 25hrs last night. 

Upon arrival, the police knocked on the door, and Marshall looked through a window and saw the police ranks. He then opened the door, and while standing in the entrance, he was informed that he was wanted by the police for a matter under investigation and was arrested.

Byron Kendall, Teon February, and Marlon Hunter have been charged with Setting Fire to a Building. They appeared today, at the Linden Magistrate Court, via Zoom, before Magistrate Wanda Fortune and have been remanded to prison until July 30, 2021.

William Marshall is still in police custody while the investigations continue.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here