The People’s National Congress Reform (PNC/R) says it expresses grave concern that the COVID-19 pandemic is being “totally mishandled” by the Government. The party, in a statement on Thursday, said that the actions of the Government are causing more deaths, more infections, and more hospitalisation.
“This is due primarily to its abandonment of the Coalition’s effective Covid-19 plan that it inherited, and its determination not to have any bi-partisan approach to managing this pandemic. Guyana, being now classified with the highest restriction on travel, Tier 4, also means that Guyana is classified as having the highest level of mismanagement of the Covid-19 pandemic,” the statement read.
The PNC/R said it is again calling on Government to “take the politics out of health” and have a national multi-stakeholder approach that would result in no deaths, fewer infections, and fewer hospitalisations.
Moreover, the party noted, “We are calling on Minister [of Health] Dr. Frank Anthony to step aside if he cannot provide details and specific information to the following questions for the Guyanese public.”
The questions the PNC/R is demanding the Health Minister answer are as follows:
1. How many free PCR testing sites are in Guyana, and where are they located?
2. What variants of Covid-19 are in Guyana?
3. What is the infection rate among our citizens?
4. How many vaccinated persons have died from Covid-19?
5. How many children are, and have been, infected with Covid-19, and have any died?
6. How many AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and Sputnik V vaccines have been received to date, and how many persons received 1st and 2nd doses?
7. Is there a National Register for the collection of data on Adverse Effects from the vaccines?
8. How many persons, who have underlying conditions, received vaccinations?
9. Where can persons with underlying conditions receive an exemption certificate from being vaccinated?
10. How many ICU beds are there, and how many trained ICU Nurses are employed?