Home Affairs Minister visits family of E’Bo shopkeeper shot dead by Police


On Monday, Home Affairs Minister Robeson Benn, along with Senior Officials of Region Two, visited the home of Orin Boston, the businessman who was fatally shot by a Police rank last Wednesday.

Minister Benn met and interacted with the relatives of the deceased on behalf of the Government. He expressed disappointment at the tragic event that transpired and assured the family that the Government is committed to having an impartial investigation done to get to the bottom of it.

“Loss of life never helps,” Minister Benn expressed. Boston’s father during his emotional interaction with the minister expressed profound grief at the passing of his son and promised that he will hold the peace until justice is served. 

The family members asked for a speedy investigation so that they can ascertain the motive behind the incident and also for them to have closure. The family further asked that the Guyana Police Force employs more training sessions for ranks, to avoid any such reoccurrence.

Following the visit, Minister Benn held a meeting with Senior Officials from the region where he urged the Police Commander of the Division, Superintendent Denise Griffith along with the Regional Chairman and Vice-Chairman to provide support and counselling for the family and relatives.

The Home Affairs Minister assured the family and relatives of Boston that all efforts will be made to ensure this tragedy is thoroughly investigated.  He said he will ensure that there is a review of the SOPs of the Police Force. 

According to Minister Benn, “Police killing should never occur only in extreme circumstances where a police life is in danger or in a bid to save civilian lives. Our method should only occur as a process of lawful approaches,” he added.

The family members and relatives of Boston thanked the Minister for his timely visit and committed to maintaining peace with the region. Before departing the Cinderella County, the Minister also use the opportunity to visit the New Opportunity Corps. He toured the facility and its surroundings.

Boston, 29, of Lot 22 Happie Street, Dartmouth Village, Essequibo Coast was shot and killed by a Police rank who was among a party of Policemen conducting an anti-crime patrol in the area. 

Police Headquarters in a statement said its ranks were conducting an anti-crime operation in the Police Regional Division Two, and at about 04:00 h they went to Boston’s home to conduct a search. 

During this time, according to a Police statement, there was a confrontation between Boston and a Police rank which resulted in him being shot to his upper left arm. An injured Boston was rushed to the Suddie Public Hospital where he was pronounced on arrival. 

Commissioner of Police Nigel Hoppie has instructed that ranks from the Police Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) commence, immediately, a thorough investigation into this matter.

Following the fatal shooting, residents of the community commenced burning tyres and other debris on the main roadway at Dartmouth which obstructed the free flow of traffic. The Police rank who allegedly shot and killed Boston has since been placed under close arrest.

Boston’s cause of death was given as hemorrhage and shock due to gunshot injuries to his chest.  A post mortem examination was conducted on his remains by Government Pathologist Dr. Nehaul Singh who extracted a single warhead from his body. 

His body has since been handed over to relatives for burial.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here