WhatsApp Image 2022-11-28 at 2.00.00 PM-b80d1852
‘Aunty Betty’ who had no children, lived alone and would have been celebrating her 85th birthday today .

An elderly woman was on Monday morning, allegedly killed by bandits, armed with knives at her Bushlot Village, West Coast Berbice home. The elderly woman has been identified as 85 years old Sumitra Sawh and was well-known by residents in the area as ‘Aunty Betty’. The elderly woman lived alone in a two-story concrete house. 

Aunty Betty according to residents of the Bushlot community, was the oldest member of the Bushlot Assembly of God Church and would have been celebrating her 85th birthday today. Aunty Betty was also described as a hard-working and pleasant elderly woman. 

According to the police report, Roshanie Basdeo called ‘Mala’, a 37-year-old housewife living at Section ‘D’ Bush who is a niece of the deceased was overnighting at her last night when the incident occurred. The niece told police that the men invaded their home around 3:00 a.m. this morning and held her at knifepoint. The men then tied her up and carried her downstairs, demanding all the valuables they had in their home

At this point, she saw another male suspect with Sawh in her bedroom. Basdeo said the male took her to the lower flat, placed her in a chair, and tied her up with a sling where he remained with her. She further said that while she was in the lower flat, she heard Sumintra Sawh saying, “Don’t kill me, granddaughter”.

Shortly after, the male who was with Sawh returned downstairs and both of them searched the lower flat. They then walked through the north door of the lower flat which was open and escaped in an unknown direction.

Inquiries further revealed that Basdeo then untied herself and went to the upper flat to check on her grandmother, where she saw her lying motionless in a pool of blood on her bed, which prompted her to make an alarm. 

She claimed that Sawh had a handbag where she usually kept her money, ID card, pension book, and other articles, and this handbag was missing from her bedroom. According to Basdeo, her grandmother had about $350,000 in the bag, of which she was saving to build her fence.

When Police ranks arrived on the scene, they saw the body of Sawh lying on a bed on her back. Blood stains were seen on the entire body and the bed. Six wounds were seen on her: one each on both sides of the temple, three on the forehead, and one to the back of the head. 

The body was removed and escorted to Fort Wellington Public hospital, where it was pronounced dead on arrival by a doctor on duty. The body was then escorted to Bailey’s Funeral Parlour, awaiting PME. 

Meanwhile, abrasions were seen on Basdeo’s neck and right hand. She claimed that the suspect had injured her. She was escorted to Fort Wellington Public Hospital and is presently receiving treatment. Investigations are ongoing.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here