With over 20,000 positive COVID-19 cases recorded in Guyana since the start of the pandemic, many of these patients have been children, ranging from newborns to 16-year-olds.
Minister of Health Dr. Frank Anthony revealed this during an exclusive interview with They Break News on Tuesday.
“We have seen children who had been infected, on many occasions, when we brought back children to school, we had tested them in the dorms, and we found that a lot of kids were positive, and we had to isolate them before we allowed them to socialize with others,” Dr. Anthony said.
The Minister expressed concerns over the four kids, who were recently infected and hospitalised.
“We don’t see kids being hospitalised so often, and when we saw that it was so disturbing,” the Minister said while explaining that out of the four, one is currently in the COVID-19 Intensive Care Unit (ICU) while one has been discharged and the other two are presently recovering.
“The child that is in the ICU is still critical and is currently still being monitored by health professionals. Hospitalisation in children is relatively rare, and there has been a syndrome that we have observed in children called multi-system inflammatory syndrome, so we are observing kids to see if that has been occurring.”
Noteworthily, the Health Minister said that the four kids had some form of underlying illness.
“We have one child that has cancer; we have another child who is asthmatic. We have another child who has some form of pneumonia and another child that has sickle cells.”
The Minister stressed that, since each of the kids had various underlying conditions, being infected with COVID-19 posed significant complications.
To this end, he urged parents with children who have underlying conditions to take extra precautions.